GIMP Tutorial: Cross processed effect to change colours on an image

In this post, I'll show how to make an image interesting. I'll show how I obtained this image:

from an image which looks like this:

The first step is to figure out what changes are required in the image. In my opinion, the blue sky is distracting, and I'd like to change the colour, so that the branch and the red leaves pop more.

Actually, I thought that a cross-processed theme would go well with this image, so here goes.

Cross processing is rather like the "retro" look, that I posted earlier. However, we would introduce some twists on the way.

Load the image in the GIMP

Colours -> Curves

Modify the curves as shown.

Duplicate the layer

And desaturate it based on Luminosity

Change the mode of the layer to Soft Light.

Create a new layer. Let's name it "Tint".

Fill the layer with a shade of yellow.

Change the layer blending mode to "Overlay" and opacity to around 75%.

This image is rather acceptable. But when I say cross-processing effect, I mean pushing the limits of technology, to create images that would have been when technology was shitty. So, I go ahead and add some colour leaks. Create a new layer group. I've named it "Vignette", but that's a misnomer. Sorry!

Create different coloured gradients. I use a non-destructive workflow, so I don't rely on the "undo" button. Hence, a new layer for each colour leak/gradient.

And that's it. Of course, you can add some random noise, or film-grain to improve the effect. Remember, you're limited just by your imagination. :)

Comments

Popular Posts