Apartments at Montreal

I'll show how I managed to get this image

using this image

For this editing, I've used RawTherapee, which is a very powerful open source raw processing software. My camera is a Panasonic DMC-FS3. It does not shoot raw, nevertheless, the images that it produces can do with a lot of post-processing.

The first step is to change white balance, and increase colour vibrance. That is followed by perspective correction and rotation correction.

Further, I add some details using an unsharp mask, add microcontrast and contrast by detail level. Then I correct the exposure, and the tone curve.

For some weird reason, I did not frame the shot carefully enough, so I did not get all the apartments in the frame, instead, the right side appears cut off. So, I did what I best can, I cropped out the left side, so as to maintain the symmetric look.

Finally, I added my copyright and the caption in the metadata, and I'm done.

Not difficult, was it? I just saved you a hundred dollars.

Comments

  1. Wow, thanks for the initiative!! I've been shooting for some time now but I've never been able to learn how to curate pictures using tools such as Darktable, Rawtherapee or GIMP. A weblog with tutorials on how to use these apps is very much appreciated and needed, since most blog posts out there use propietary solutions.

    Hope you continue with this great job :)

    Best regards,

    Sam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your appreciation Sam. I know that people often don't use FOSS for lack of proper tutorials, and I'll try my best to fill in that gap.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts